Thursday 15 July 2010

I go by the name Arjun

I go by the name Arjun, or sometimes The Indian Guy. Depends where I am I guess. I have spent most of life travelling around and living in different countries and no this hasn't turned me into an army brat just a brat, simply because my family had nothing to do with the army. However it was the lack of discipline and the inability to understand authority that landed me in India/Punjab at the tender age of 5. I was never a rude child I just thought and believed I knew better. Which, naturally the adults found hard to digest. Anyhow being in India was the best time of life for the next five years. I became disciplined and learned the value of education and family but remained a brat none the less. This once again became the reason for my return back to England. I spent my five years in India doing as I please and going where I pleased. It was also where I discovered Story Telling and Acting. Also I got named a run away. It wasn't running away I caught a bus, twice. I was just visiting relatives that I missed. Anyhow upon being caught and punished for the second time the last straw was my answer to the question adult’s love. What have you learned, my answer being, “if you ever run away from home never go to see relatives as they become informants and you get caught.”
Life in England was slow and boring for a ten year old but I found my own entertainment. I started to develop stories and acting them out mostly to my only viewer and avid fan my little sister. At the age of thirteen I discovered a man with a name I could not pronounce, Arnold Schwarzenegger. While shopping my sister and I would leave our parents and play hide and seek in the supermarket. I was hiding in the magazine aisle and saw Mr. Schwarzenegger on a muscle and fitness magazine. Having bought that magazine that day has kept me fit and healthy till this day on regular workouts 5-6 times a week, although I remain much smaller in size at the height of 5ft 11.
I was academically intelligent as academics only required a good memory and as mine is near enough photographic I excelled without any enthusiasm. It was always the creative side that interested me as it allowed me to use more than my memory, since the time I can remember my answer to what I want to be has always been an actor. This love for creativity slowly developed into story writing and making small films and clips. I graduated with a degree in Sociology and Media followed by a Masters in Media Production, ( thought I’d slip that in there before you think I am just a lazy layabout, which I can be.)
I moved to Canada a year after my Masters for three years and also and found it to be favourite place on Earth alongside India. I worked in the Media field as a researcher and occasionally as an actor, before returning to England in the worst time possible the recession. I now reside in Birmingham with a keen eye to more elsewhere as soon as possible. I am now working as an actor and making my own small films and comedy sketches found on YouTube.
As a person I remain the same 5 yr old who has believes in what he wants to do and doesn’t allow anything to stand in the way. I perceive, believe and achieve. The world will always tell you otherwise but it is up to you to know what it is you desire and how hard you are willing to work for your dream. Live fast and die young, meaning remain young irrespective of you physical age. As one of favourite actors said, “Dream as if you’ll live forever...Live as if you’ll die today, “James Dean.

No comments:

Post a Comment