Thursday 28 October 2010

Learning English....

Well where do I start. I am currently living in the West Midlands (stop laughing) a place where they claim to speak English, (H)Owever it's English that even the English couldn't understand, they call it Black Country and they (h)ave no concept of H, or pretty much any other letter in the alphabet for that matter. Now this is in no way an attempt to put down or ridicule anybody who speaks Black Country but merely an observation that had me thinking about the English language.
They also seem to make up words: made up word on left and meaning on right:

Wench - Female
Suck - Sweet/ Candy
Cock - Kiddo / Sport type of thing

Now try saying would you like a sweet kiddo in Black country...
How rude

Back to the list

Duck - same as cock (huh)
Bab - Babe/Baby

That’s just the west Mids. I have been lucky enough to live in and grow up on three different continents and learn Different English in all three. I have to say the worst English is spoken in England. Owever that is the English it has been reduced to...

Now lets have a closer look at English itself. A language I have spoken most of life and taken for granted... It was not until I had to teach my son to read that I realised what a stupid concept of a language English really is to those of us that do not understand the concept behind why it is what it is... there are so many things that make no sense to me what so ever. For example

The concept of ch

this combination gives two sounds one found in church / chair and the other found in words like choir / character

now how do i tell a 4 yr old how we decide which sound it is... I don't know I just know that's what the word is. Taken for granted.

No I haven’t finished... although u may want to ang yourself right now anyway...never mind let me finish.


The same with c itself

it makes a see sound as well a k sound
or g it makes a gee sound as well a ga as in granite or geometry

how do we know which one

then we have those stupid silent letters k and p
knife pronounced nife or know
psychology pronounced sychology

how do we know when it is silent...we just take it for granted.


Then we have words like to and go why is one like 2 , shouldn't that make go sound like goo.

I am sure there are plenty of other things too (there's that stupid word again) but I going to or is that pronounced joinj to let u go now or goo now and let you all think about it... i do want an answer though, nobody has ever managed to explain why the language is the way it is. The only thing I can think of is the inability of the English (I am English too before you start) didn't have the ability to create a sufficient enough (oh yeah and gh makes a f sound) alphabet (and ph is f) as I was saying sufficient enough alphabet for support the actual words. 26 measly letters come on....

No comments:

Post a Comment